Thirsty hearts are those whose longings have been awakened by the touch of God within them.” A. W. Tozer
Prayer for marriages and families can run the gamut from simple life’s rocking along prayers to prayer for a better marriage to pour out your heart prayers for marriage restoration. But no matter the state of your marriage, hope reigns.
May you be deeply encouraged and strengthened as you pray.
Prayers for Marriages and Families
Abba Father, everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible…everything began in you and finds its purpose in you.
Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!” Psalm 116:2
- Thank you for our marriage and for our family. Thank you for bringing us together and sustaining us.
- Keep our love for one another fresh and flourishing.
- Cultivate our friendship.
- Hold us and keep up fiercely faithful to one another.
- Protect our oneness, keep us for one another, united and indivisible.
- May we have each other’s back and champion each other’s dreams.
- Sprinkle our days with silliness, playfulness, kisses, and laughter.
- Kindle the language of respect and honor in our home.
- Jesus, nourish our relationships with you. Make us awake, aware, and responsive to your presence.
- Parent our children through us.
- May grace and generosity flow out of our hearts and home.
- Evolve each of us individually, and fulfill your purposes through us as we depend on you.
Prayer for a Better Marriage
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
- Cause us to hear each other’s hearts. Cause us to take the time needed to listen well.
- Give us eyes to see one another, to pay attention to even the smallest of details.
- Incite us both to live fully known to one another, even the things we want to keep secret.
- Lead us to accept one another at our best and in our worst moments.
- Sow seeds of deep intimacy in our physical relationship and sustain our passion.
- Let us encourage one another daily. May our words drip with respect and encouragement.
- Quicken us to address conflict and move us towards one another as we seek solutions.
- Keep us on the same page financially and in our parenting.
- Provide us with a rich fertile community – kindred heart friendships.
- Author times of praise, celebration, and worship in our home.
- And during times of suffering, teach us to lament as we look to you for hope.
A Prayer for Marriage Restoration
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27
Therefore, I will pray with boldness, for nothing without exception is impossible for you…
- Cause us to cease fire – to lay down our weapons against one other.
- Empower us to believe and look for the best in each other each and every day.
- Compel us to lean into you and one another as we face times of adversity.
- Awaken us to take responsibility when we’ve hurt or offended one another.
- Humble me to pray, Lord, change me.
- Birth forgiveness through us and cause us to let go and move forward.
- Guard our minds in times of trouble. Sustain our belief in your goodness and ability to heal our marriage.
- Inspire us to care for one another tenderly and receive from each other gratefully.
- May the resurrection power of Christ redeem and restore our marriage.
- And may one day our home be a safe haven. A place others can come to be restored and refreshed.
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21
As I mentioned earlier, prayer for marriages and families can run the gamut from simple life’s rocking along prayers to prayers for a better marriage to pouring out your heart prayers for marriage restoration. But no matter the state of your marriage, hope reigns.
For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible…everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He is before all things, and in him, all things hold together.” Colossians 1:16-17
I believe God hears our prayers and responds to our prayers. I believe this because God rescued our marriage. And it all started with him teaching me a simple three-word prayer. And then, as I grew to trust him more and more, he opened my heart to all the prayers above.
My friend, pray boldly and often. Pour out your heart. No need to filter a word or emotion. No need for elegant or lengthy prayers. Just talk to the Father. And ask for what you need.
May you experience immeasurably more of the power of Christ at work within you. And may his favor be upon you and your marriage and your family and your children and their children. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
I’m listening. And would love to hear from you. Email me and let me know your biggest takeaway, insight, or aha from today’s topic.
Don’t have my email address? No worries. Subscribe below to share your thoughts, comments, or questions, and Bonus! You’ll also receive weekly content and encouragement. No one should have to journey without encouragement.
Do you know someone who could benefit from this topic? Please share this post with them.
Thanks for stopping by! Until we meet again, remember – Trusting in Jesus, you’ll have more treasure than pockets. From my heart to yours,